Another Birthday Already!?!?

In all honesty, I would love for my birthday to just fly in under the radar each year. I don't want anyone, especially me, to realize that I'm aging. Ugh. Unfortunately, the day falls right at PHINS To The West time and after several years, everyone knows about it. Double ugh.

The official day was Saturday and I tried to keep a low profile. I was away from the group for most of the morning playing poker and I was hoping the $1.75 Coronas would have killed their birthday knowing brain cells by the time I rejoined them.

No luck on that. I got out to the pool and it started. "Hey everybody, did you know it was Kathy's birthday?" A very loud rendition of Happy Birthday was performed by the Arizona group. Seconds after they were done, Utah started their version from 20 feet further down the way.

A little later, while I was trying to kill the birthday knowing brain cell with $1.75 Coronas, some wiseacre started it again. "Hey, it's Kathy's birthday!" That was followed by another serenade.

I said with full sarcasm, "That's not going to get old at all." The Jello-Shot Prince said with complete sincerity, "That's not going to get old at all." Sigh.

He and Crash went off to work their mini-mart shift and came back with a present for me. They'd fashioned a birthday crown out of two layers of cardboard and topped with an empty bottle attached with red duct tape. The bottom layer said "Happy Birthday, Princess" or something like that.

I wore it for a few minutes before someone asked me if I'd actually looked at what was written on it. I did and they had put the actual number on the second layer! I shudder to think about it still. The second layer got trashed at that point.

There were some advantages to it being my birthday. I figured since they were having the joy of torturing me, they could at least pick up the tab. As soon as my beer was empty, I had a replacement. It was the least they could do, in my opinion anyway.

The Babes, Dawnie, Roger and Todd did take me to dinner at the nice steak place at the Avi. That was cool of them. The food was good and Todd's critique of the service was enteraining.

We hit the conference area for Saturday night's entertainment. I saw someone slip the band a note so I figured there was yet another serenade in my future. The only problem was that I was completely beat. Getting about 6 hours of sleep between Thursday and Friday and spending the afternoon in the sun guzzling beer had fried me.

I stuck it out through the first set and the break and even a song or two into the second set before I called it a night. Dawnie told me the band played for me a few minutes after I left. I was tucked into bed and fast asleep at that point.

Apparently, I am old now because it was only 10:30. I can't tell you the last time I was in bed at 10:30 on a Saturday night. Hopefully, it will be a long time before I am again.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020