Tales From Rocky Point - Fish Fry

The Cholla Bay Sportsmen's Club was celebrating their 53rd Annual Fishing Derby on Sunday with a fish fry. The were using the Old Boy's Social Club's clubhouse for the event. Catnip is the Prez of Old Boy's and Lew is the VP. Catnip's a big deal down there, really.

Catnip and I took one of the quads over so we got there ahead of the game. While I was saving the table (Catnip was off talking to his subjects) I noticed something that you'll never see in the US. It was a 10 year old serving Tequila. I was appalled yet that's somewhat hypocritical since I used to send Steven to the fridge for wine coolers when he was about three years old. Though, that was for family, not strangers!


Only in Mexico.

They were selling raffle tickets for charity and Julie and I went up to buy some. They were selling 6 for $5 and I bought $10 worth. I debated filling out half of them with my name and the other half with The Rocket Scientist's but decided he could buy some of his own if he wanted to. Then, I felt guilty and, after looking at the mostly fishing related prizes, appeased my guilt by consigning any winnings to him.

When we got back to the table, the first thing he said to me was, "Did you buy me any tickets?" Dammit! I knew I should have...actually, I should have lied. He wouldn't have known the difference.

Annette is one of the luckiest people I know. She won $500 at the Old Boy's event a little while back and I've seen her rake in the dough more than once at the dog track. I think we all expected her to win something.

She announced, "I'm probably going to win the shovel."


"I'm supposed to get the gift certificate!"

Of course, they called her name and she went up to claim her prize. She thought she was getting a gift certificate from Latitude 31. Not so. She was the proud winner of the Folding Shovel. With Saw! OMG, we laughed so hard. And, she was bummed she hadn't called the patio umbrella instead.

What a fantastic prize!

Not surprisingly, she won another prize. This time it was a Swag bag of cool stuff. There were shot glasses, key chains, shirts, a hat and professional bottle opener.

Showing the professional opener move.

The fish fry was good. To add to my guilt, TRS stood in the long line and got mine while I guarded the table. And by guarded, I mean I chatted with people and drank beer while sitting there.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020