Drafting...Wake Me Up When It's Over

So, we had our Fantasy Football draft on Sunday. It was supposed to start at 1 but The Jello-Shot Prince didn't read the road construction reports so he got there late. I think we started closer to 1:30.

There were 14 teams signed up but one of the guys had never responded to any emails so we weren't sure he was even coming. We decided he wasn't (good call as he never showed) so The Rocket Scientist drafted a team that we called Charity and decided if it won, all the money in the prize pool would go to charity. I suggested that he just buy in and play but he said (in a rather superior tone), "Unlike you, I am capable of turning down gambling opportunities."

Whatever. I should have come back with, "Unlike you, I am fun." Of course, I didn't think of that until much later. And, he could have replied with, "I'm here after driving 20 straight hours and getting home at 4 AM this morning just to have fun." So, maybe it was best that I left it alone.

The drafting order was random and Crash got the #1 pick. Crash had done no research whatsoever though she'd bought a Fantasy Football magazine (that I don't think she had opened). She's running the team with her son so she had to call him to ask whom they should pick. He lives in Seattle and was at a Mariners' game. Although the ENTIRE room could have told her to take Ladanian Tomlinson (and actually tried to), she had to hear it from him.

We got going pretty quickly after that until it came back to Crash. Then, it was another phone call. We all made our picks and it was back to her. Another call was made. I think she called him for every pick.

We had several beer, food and potty stops and finally wrapped it up over 4 hours after we started. Moose was rather vocal with some players, "Are you on the clock?" We had a couple of times when people would say, "Oh, is it on me?" That happens often though.

Woody had thought it would take 2 to 3 hours. How naive. Maybe with lots of experienced players but we had several newbies. There were long periods where you could just daydream and I did.

Steven and I drafted a team together. I know I would have had several different players if I'd been on my own but, when you're a team, you compromise. Oddly enough (or not oddly at all), we ended up with several current and former Packers.

Here's our team:
QB Tom Brady
QB Brett Favre
RB Reggie Bush
RB Julius Jones
RB Leon Washington
RB Fred Taylor
WR Donald Driver
WR Hines Ward
WR Jordan Kent
TE Antonio Gates
TE Donald Lee
K Neil Rackers
K Jeff Reed
DEF Green Bay
DEF Detroit

You start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex player (RB or WR), 1 K and 1 DEF each week. Special teams are included in with your DEF.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020