Healthy Choices

We had our latest Biggest Loser weigh-in last week. T and I both had gained. I was bummed but not surprised considering my travel/party schedule in July.

Our company contracts with Kronos for our health stuff. Christine, our Kronos Rep runs the Biggest Loser contest, gives classes on eating right, stress relief and other helpful things. She also gives one on one health coaching. I've seen the email announcements about it before but something this time made me sign up. That something was the fact that I can't seem to get where I want to be on my own.

I actually haven't done well since we stopped offering Weight Watchers at work. It was so convenient and knowing I had to get on the scale in front of the instructor once a week kept me much more on the straight and narrow.

Here's the thing; I don't want to have to watch my diet and the thought of exercising fills me with utter boredom. Unfortunately, those two things are what you need to do to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I've been able to tell myself that I was okay because my annual tests came out great. Low blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure.

This year, though, my blood pressure was up and put me in the pre-hypertensive group. Since Shorty is on meds for high blood pressure, I need to take it seriously and get it under control now rather than later through meds.

So, I went into my meeting with the expectation that Christine would make a plan for me and then I would just follow it. I do really well when there are rules, especially other people's rules. She didn't do that, though. She said it would just be her plan, not mine, and that I needed to create the plan and own it.

Dang. I was hoping to not do any work.

We talked about what my goals are and how I would like my life to be a year from now. I think my life is pretty good and I really don't want to change anything except be healthier. I just need someone to prod me to get there.

She gave me some great advice. Instead of looking at a goal a year out, she suggested I do a short term plan with its own goals. Also, she said to write the goals down and post them somewhere to keep them in my mind. She also offered to review my weekly eating and exercise log (I'm going to count Weight Watchers points again since that does work...if you follow the plan) and offer feedback. And, she suggested a website to order exercise videos from.

So, I put together a 12 week plan. That will take me to the Meeting of the Minds convention in Key West. My goal is to lose 15 pounds by then and build up to working out 3 times a week. I would guess that I'll lose more than 15 if I work out and watch what I eat but I'm going for the baby steps here. There's Parrot Grande and a Vegas trip in that time frame and those will no doubt set me back a little bit.

I did tell her that beer will be featured in my log. She's already suggested alternating a beer with a water. She's so cute in her naivete.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020