Genetics or Environment?

Much as I (like many people) fear becoming my parents, I think I'm doomed.

Let me give you some background. My parents have a computer that they use to check email and play games on. Some times, Shorty actually uploads pictures to it, too. A while ago, Shorty decided to buy a laptop. To play games on and read his email but in the living room. For some reason, he decided his laptop wasn't good enough so he just bought a new one. I'm really not sure why but that gives them yet another computer to play games on. Kooky and impulsive.

This week, their big (50+ inches) TV went on the fritz. Apparently, it was the power button that wasn't working. My Mom called the repair shop near their house and they said to bring it in but their guy was on vacation so it would be a few days before it could get fixed.

Not good enough for Shorty. He got home and called the shop himself. Somehow, the guy convinced him that it wasn't really worth fixing and they'd be better off getting a new TV. So, they did. 60 inches this time. Now, I might have waited to see if the power button could get fixed but that's just me.

Or is it?

I've had my laptop for over 4 years. It's a Dell and it's worked well but it's not ideal. It only has 512mb of RAM, a 30GB hard drive which is 29GB full and the battery barely lasts 2 hours. I find that having three or more active IE windows overloads it and doing lots of spreadsheet work does the same. Sometimes, even loading one web page takes forever.

I got an email yesterday from Dell advertising a sale on their Inspiron 1525. The price was great and it comes in all kinds of cool colors. Pretty! I sent the email to Sugar Daddy and said, "I want one. Should I buy it?" He came back with some options that I should add that made the price not so attractive.

I gave it a little more thought and the final one was, "What the hell?" So, I bought it.

Wanting to feel better about it, I told several people what I'd done and they were all supportive. I told Steven that I was being Shorty since I didn't really need a new laptop but he told me it was about time since I wasn't really Shorty since I'd had it for years.

Well, almost everyone was supportive. The Rocket Scientist said, "What do you need a new one for?" Then, he told the poker boys that I was just buying it because my hard drive was full.

Not true. That would be a total Shorty move and I'm not Shorty, am I?

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020