Things Are Looking Up

Knocking on wood with one and hand and typing with the other but I think karma has decided I've been punished enough.

It wasn't looking good on Wednesday morning. One of my first emails was from the bank letting me know I'd overdrawn my checking account. Dang flat tire. Shoulda used my credit card.

Then, I had a potential employee coming in for an interview. Fortunately, he got to the neighborhood early and I had given him my work number because I emailed him the wrong address for our building. I told him the number for our previous building which is across the street and completely unmarked. I felt like a total dope.

I did manage to get out of work only a few minutes after I wanted to and I pulled into my carport at 5:30 on the dot which is when I told Norene to be at my house. She was already waiting so we had a beer while we chatted for a while then we headed downtown for Lyle.

The concert was at The Dodge and I made a wrong turn on Washington that put me in the bus only lane but, when I bailed, we found ourselves going right to the Dodge's parking garage. Sweet.

I spotted a restaurant across the street from the theater that we tried out and it was great. Norene was able to order her favorite salad (think Greek and without any lettuce) and I had a tasty Gyro. We finished at the perfect time as we bought a beer at the theater and got into our seats about 2 minutes before Shawn Colvin started her opening act.

The show was FABULOUS! Lyle Lovett and His Large Band is just that, large. I tried to count everyone who made an appearance on stage during the show and I think it was 25 people. In addition to his 10 piece band, he had some guest performers including 10 members of a local church choir. Lyle was witty as ever and I walked out with the same thought that I have after every one of his shows, "If I could just get the people who mock me for my Lyle love to go to one show, they'd totally get it".

We got home and had another beer before calling it a night. Norene stayed over so she headed for the couch and I partially closed my bedroom door with George in there to try to encourage her to stay with me. I regret that now.

In the wee hours of the morning, I awoke to feeling George push her crackle ball up against my arm. It felt wet. Wetter than just cat spit would make it. I reached over and found more wetness on the sheet and then turned on the light.

George had yakked on the bed, right next to me and partially on me. I'm not sure how a kitten that size could have had so much in her stomach but the amount may have been a factor in her expelling those contents. I tried my best to clean it up without waking Norene and put a towel down on the sheet so I could go back to bed. Of course, George was wide awake and feeling perky so she wanted to play for a while.

Did I mention it was 3:15 AM? Mommy was not in the mood to play.

I whine to The Rocket Scientist about my crappy week and he was quite sympathetic and even asked if he could do anything to help me feel better. He is pretty nice and he did make me feel a lot better.

We had tickets that night to the Diamond Backs that we'd won at a charity poker event. TRS picked me up at 5:30 and we took the Jeep so I wouldn't have to worry about car issues popping up. He'd even put enough pieces back on so my hair didn't get messed up. (Not that it mattered because I was sporting the curly poodle look because I didn't have the energy to straighten it that morning.) He told me not to worry about a thing so I didn't.

Our seats were great. Just off home plate and in the second section from the bottom. TRS totally treated me like the Princess I would like to be the whole night. He paid for everything, offered to fetch me beer or dinner, entertained me with stories and promised to save me from any fly balls that might come our way. One did get a few rows from us but too far for him to snag it. He even suggested a post-game cocktail that kept him out past his weeknight bedtime.

When I thanked him, he told me that he wanted to give me a really nice night since I was having such a bad week. It worked because it was a great night (despite the DBacks' loss) and I think it totally restored my good mojo.

It's been smooth sailing since then (still knocking on that wood) and I'm a much happier camper than I was a week ago.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020