Tales From The Midwest - The One Time I Didn't Want to be Carded

There's a Wal-Mart right across the road from the Best Western that we frequent. Weird Wisconsin liquor laws means the liquor is sold in its own little store that's separate from the main one. We needed supplies so we all headed over to stock up.

De and Tyson checked out with one cashier. I heard her ask them for their IDs but I figured that's because they both look pretty young. Dawnie, Pete and I put our stuff on the counter and started pooling our money. The clerk asked if it was all together and we said yes. She said, "I need to see all of your IDs."

OK, problem. Since we were going to spend the evening in the hotel bar where I couldn't fathom getting carded and I didn't want to carry my purse, I had just stuffed money in my pockets and left the ID in our room. So, no ID.

We asked if she really needed all of our IDs and she said yes. I then said, "What if I just walk out and leave them to pay? Would that work?" Apparently not.

Dawnie, our little shopper.

So, Pete and I left while Dawnie walked to the back of the store and pretended to put the beer back. She waited until we were gone then headed to the cashier who let her pay for it.

What a farce.

The next day, we were back at the same store and somehow were able to buy booze without them asking for all of our IDs. I think the clerk from Friday was having a cranky day.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020