Successful Surgery!

Shorty came through his surgery with flying colors today. The Doc said the tumor looked to be contained and he couldn't find any evidence of any other nasties in there. What a relief!

Of course, it couldn't have gone down smoothly...

Shorty first told me his surgery was going to be at 11:30. Then, Steven told me that's when he was supposed to get to the hospital. Then, it got moved up and he was supposed to be at the hospital at 9:30 this morning.

No problem. I had it all scheduled. In to the shower at 7:45, out the door at 8:15, to my parents' by 9 and leave for the hospital at 9:15. It's 5 minutes from my parents' house so that gave us plenty of time.

My phone rang at 7:40 and it was Shorty. "The hospital called and they can move the surgery up so I have to leave now." I told him, "I guess I'll see you when you wake up because I haven't even showered yet." They were at the hospital by 8 AM.

I jumped in the shower and was out the door by 8:10. I didn't realize how much I've been operating on auto-pilot until I got to I-10. Totally missed the 101 turnoff and was headed to work in Phoenix instead of the hospital in Scottsdale. Son of a...! I bailed on the 10 as it's a parking lot that time of day and didn't make it to the hospital until 9:10.

Shorty was in prep and my Mom, Aunt Joan and Uncle Bill were in the surgery waiting area. Someone from the prep area was supposed to come out and let us go back and see him before they put him under.

We waited. And waited. My Mom hypothesized that maybe they forgot to get us and he was already in surgery. That would have been great! Instead, whatever circumstances that would have let him go early had changed and he was now on for 11:30.

We took turns going back to sit with him. He was not happy sitting there in his hospital gown, shower cap and socks just waiting around. I told him I was really happy that I rushed over which did make him laugh.

He finally went in at 12:40. They'd told us it was scheduled for 1 1/2 hours so we headed to the cafeteria. We were Starvin' Marvins by that time. It was back to the waiting area within an hour because we didn't want to chance missing the Doc. Good thing, too, as he was out there just an hour after the surgery started.

You could tell by his body language that it went well. The mass looked to be contained and there were no other evidence of cancer to be found. He may be able to go home in less than a week if his digestive tract starts working as it should.

Recovery was estimated to take 1 to 1/2 hours, as well. Pretty much at one hour, an orderly came to tell us Shorty was up in his room. We all trooped up there to descend upon him.

He was pretty groggy but looked good. His color was pink and he was ready for some ice chips. The Doc hadn't talked to him so I told him the good news.

I wish I could visibly share how his expression changed from complete anxiety to utter relief in only a few heartbeats.

We left him to nap after visiting for a few minutes then headed back to my parents' house. We joked about whether he would even remember if we were there because he was so doped up. He had been together enough to show me that they'd let him wear the LiveStrong bracelet that Pab gave him during his surgery.

Back at the homestead, we had a celebratory cocktail and pretty much collapsed onto various chairs and couches. I could physically feel the stress of the last week leaving my body as I sat on the couch with my Uncle. He said he felt the same.

After some relaxation and dinner, we headed back to the hospital. The first thing Shorty said to me was, "Tell me again what the doctor said because I don't remember." After being reassured that he's going to be OK, he started drifting off to sleep and sent us home.

What a long, difficult day. What a great feeling knowing that he's going to be fine. I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight for the first time since this started last week.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020