The Government and Baseball - Good or Bad?

Man, I am torn. Our own Senator John McCain, along with a couple of others, introduced legislation to deal with steroid use in professional sports. You can get the full scoop at USA Today.

On one hand, don't our elected leaders have something better to do with their time? Like finding a winning solution to Iraq and Afghanistan so our men and women can stop dying and will not have died in vain? How about working on the economy or social security?

On the other hand, professional sporting leagues have let steroid and other drug abuse make a mockery out of sports. More importantly, because there doesn't seem to be any consequence, kids today think nothing about using steroids to be stronger and leaner. After all, their sports heroes are doing it and allegedly, so is their competition. Who cares about the health risks?

And, I'm sorry if you're a Barry Bonds fan and think he was clean, but come on! Get with reality. He was juiced and gets paid a gazillion dollars. What's sad is that the guy had loads of natural talent and would have had a great career without it. I'm also not buying the native Spanish speaking athletes who say that, because their grasp of English isn't perfect, they weren't aware that what they were doing was wrong.

Personally, I think a one strike and you're out policy with mandatory testing of all players is the only thing that's going to stop this. I also think the same policy should be applied to illegal recreational drugs. Got busted for coke or pot? Too bad. If I were getting paid millions of $$ a year, I think I could forgo the high. Heck, I could even give up Miller Lite and that's legal!

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020