Those Dang DBacks!

Steven took me to a Diamondbacks game on Thursday for my birthday. We had a really nice time despite their 4-2 loss to the Pirates. There were two Exclamation plays, one by Counsel and the other by Cintron. Exclamation plays are my own scoring invention. When the play is exceptional, I put an exclamation point on the scorecard. Not exactly official but it works for me.

On Sunday, I took my parents and my uncle to a game. Ohmigod - was that painful! 16-2 and it was even worse than that. No offense and oy vey, the pitching was simply awful. We stayed for the whole 9 innings though. Probably because we were going to have to wait for Steven to get home for dinner anyway.

Sitting through two games in one week back memories from when Sugar Daddy and I had partial season tickets for several years. (Full disclosure: he paid for them except for the last year. Yes, I am really spoiled.)

We have very different ideas of what makes for a perfect baseball game. He loves a 10-1 win with all home runs and that's done in a little over 2 hours. I love pitching duels that end 1-0 after 14 innings.

Every game we went to, he was ready to go as soon as the cotton candy was gone. We started working out rules for when we could leave. Our first negotiations were that I would agree to leave when I finished my beer but then I would set it in the holder and not drink anymore. That worked for several games until he wised up. I can't imagine what the people sitting around us thought when they heard him sternly ordering, "Finish that beer right now!" Our 10 run rule would have come into effect on Sunday - any time a team was up by 10 runs, I agreed we could leave. That didn't happen too much, fortunately.

One Friday night, he just decided he absolutely wanted to skip the game and offered up dinner in Sedona via a top down ride in the Beemer convertible. I said it was a good offer but since Randy Johnson was pitching he would have to up the ante. I got jewelry out of it. Again, I am admittedly spoiled.

I can't get Sugar Daddy to go to games anymore except for special events like my birthday last year. He got kickass seats for us right behind the dugout. They go for about $100 each and he decided that was the only way to go from now on. Since he's not really a millionaire (yet) we haven't gone since.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020