House Concert - Mark Mulligan, Gary Seiler and Rob Mehl

The last of the spring House Concerts at John and Jeanne's was on April 22. I worked the door again which is a perfect job for the social butterfly and Connie and her steady, John, headed up merchandise sales which freed up the performers to interact with the audience a little more.

It was a beautiful day out on the patio and the three guys were great. All of the shows have been fun, but this was my favorite so far.

Mark Mulligan released his new CD, Journey Around The Sun, on April 20th and it sounds great. He recorded it in Nashville and there are some wonderful tunes on it. Mark opened the show and did several of the new songs and some of his older classics while telling us some great stories about living in Mexico.

Gary Seiler was up next. No, he didn't remember me (for the 8th time now?) but this time I gave him so much crap that I think I'm going to stick for a while. He and his road manager, Lenny, are traveling across the South from CA to FL to promote Gary's new CD, He's Finally Living. I do like to give Gary crap, but not about his music or his show. He's a great entertainer and I really dug the new songs. Cool thing - Gary's Kindergarten teacher now lives in Prescott and she and her husband drove down to catch the show. Since Gary's 50ish, you can imagine how old she is. They were delightful people.

Rob Mehl took the third shift and he was AWESOME! Rob spent a lot of his childhood in Hawaii and it shows in his music. It's just beautiful stuff and he has a fabulous, smooth voice. This was the second time I've seen Rob perform. He was the singer at the Parrot Head wedding in Laughlin during PHINS to the West. He had a great story about Michael McCloud taking Fidel Castro yard and I swear he was channeling IZ on his rendition of Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

The three of them finished up the show playing a few songs together. You can tell these guys really care for each other and are great friends and it made for a wonderful afternoon.

After the show, Rob, Sam, Elizabeth and I had a great discussion on Clive Cussler (a favorite author of ours) and Rob and I talked about Travis McGee and how cool a character he was (and how he had Captain Kirk Syndrome where any woman who slept with him died). Rob was just wonderful - no airs about him at all and genuinely excited to be doing a show for us.

Gary and Mark were also appreciative of the audience. Gary's trying to get a USO gig in Iraq and Rob wants in on it. He's a Vietnam Vet and I think it would mean a lot to him to be able to play for our troops over there.

For once, Mark didn't make me go out on a school night. There's always next time, though...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020