Choosing Paint - How Many Shades of White Are There?

So, the one thing the new place needs is a coat of paint. Sugar Daddy and I stopped off to get Glidden samples at Home Depot a few weeks ago and have been disagreeing about my color choice ever since. Actually, a lot of people have been disagreeing with my choice.

I want white. Not yellow-white, not grey-white, not beige...but white. I don't want anything that looks dingy and anything with a remotely yellow tint turns me off completely. Think Cape Cod beach house and you have an idea of what I like. Well, apparently I'm very much in the minority on that.

SD's place is Swiss Coffee which is the color of choice for every developer in Phoenix for the past few years and he suggested I get it. It's fairly light but it still has a faint touch of yellow (at least to my eye). While it's not at all dingy looking it's just not light enough.

To make things easy, I decided to get just one color for the ceiling, walls and trim. After a lot of debate (internally and with SD), I chose Crisp Linen. It's probably a shade or two lighter than Swiss Coffee. SD said it would be great if I wanted my place to look like a hospital room. Tyler also told me it was too light.

So, I wavered. Then, I decided to go with two colors and use white for the trim. I switched from Crisp Linen to Antique White which is a little (very little) bit on the gray side. Kevin said it suggested putting feet up in stirrups. SD said it wouldn't be his choice but it wouldn't be horrible and since it's my place I should do whatever I wanted.

Steven and I headed off to Lowe's (sponsor of Jimmie Johnson and Team 48) last night to get the paint and supplies. I had my samples in hand and the first thing the guy tells me is they don't carry Glidden. I knew Lowe's and Home Depot carried specialty brands but I didn't think Glidden would be one of them. Argh, I had to choose something new.

We compared Lowe's American Tradition brand samples to my Glidden. I though their Chef White looked close to Glidden's Antique White but the guy told me it would be too light. Like I hadn't heard that comment a gazillion times. Their Antique White did look close to Glidden's so I went with that in a satin finish for the walls, flat for the ceiling and semi-gloss for the kitchen and bathroom. We got the semi-gloss white for trim.

After I got home, I checked out the samples in home, not store, lighting.

Know what? American Brands Antique White looks a helluva lot like Glidden's Swiss Coffee. So, I got that going for me.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020