Disappointing End To The Season

Grandpa suggested getting together to watch the final NASCAR race of the season. Since I usually watch them all alone in my office (NASCAR is banned from the big screen TV), I thought it was a grand idea. It’s definitely more fun to watch the races with someone.

I suggested a Famous Sam’s that’s between our houses and we agreed to meet at 2. I got there a few minutes early and, while I was scoping out a big screen for the race, heard someone yell out my name. Turns out, that Famous Sam’s is a hangout for the Crime Dog and he and TFMCD and Ladybug were there finishing up lunch and watching the Cowgirls…I mean Cowboys. That Ladybug is sooooooo darn cute.

I sat down with the Dog family, ordered a beer and Grandpa got there a few minutes later. I was lobbying for NASCAR on the big screen in the area we were sitting in but there were a bunch of loud, football guys in there so I lost out. So, we decided to go to Grandpa’s neighbor’s house. Pete lives just down the street and hosts the game every week in his garage and people just come and go. Grandpa wasn’t concerned about bringing an uninvited guest over. He was more concerned that Pete’s a BIG Tony Stewart fan so he told me to play nice and expect to get some crap. I was sure I could handle it.

Grandpa stopped off to buy beer and I headed over to his house and parked in the driveway. His next door neighbor had a TV on in his open garage and I heard “Jimmie Johnson had to go down to the apron and may have some damage.” Yikes! I walked into the guy’s garage and said, “I have to know, what just happened?” The guy took it really well that some strange woman just walked in and starting talking to him. I explained that I was waiting for Grandpa and that we were going to Pete’s. He was actually frying up the wings and fries to take to Pete’s and even offered to walk me down there and introduce me. Nice man. Jamie McMurray fan. Grandpa got home and didn’t see me at my car, looked for me in the backyard then walked next door (I’m guessing he heard me since I’m not very quiet). He said something along the lines of, “I should have known you’d be off making friends.”

We walked down to Pete’s and they were all very nice and welcoming. Grandpa put our beer (he even bought Miller Lite instead of his usual Bud Light which was nice) in the fridge, handed me one that I put in my Jimmie Johnson coozie and we were set. It’s so much more fun watching the race with a group of people than watching it alone. I like having someone to talk strategy with and those folks were all well versed in NASCAR.

So, Jimmie was working his way to the front and all looked good. But, then it’s not good. He started losing spots. Lots of them and quickly. It looked like he had a rear tire going down and Grandpa said he should pit under the green and try to get the Lucky Dog. I was on the edge of my seat. The announcers said they were going off to commercial but would break in if something happened. I said, “Jimmie’s crashing is going to be what happens.” Sure enough, they came back from commercial and his tire blew. He hit the wall and was done for the day. And, done for the season. He went into the race in 2nd place and ended up 5th. That sucked. I hate the Race for the Chase.

Everyone was pretty nice about it, though, and I started to cheer for Tony Stewart. It wasn’t that I’m a big fan (though he is really cute when he’s scruffy and I would totally consider doing him) it was more of an “anyone but Roush” thing. Grandpa’s a Roush guy and I’ve had to hear for years about how good they are.

The rest, as they say, is history. Biffle (my prediction for next year’s champion) won the race, Tony finished high enough to clinch the Championship and everyone but me was happy. We hung out a while longer and I had a great time talking with Pete’s wife. Grandpa said he knew as soon as she and I started talking he was going to have to drag me out of there. Apparently, she’s just as chatty as I.

Now, I can concentrate on football. Too bad my Packers are so crappy. Maybe I can find some Australian Rules Football or Rugby to watch instead. At least I'd have some eye candy.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020