A Rude Welcome Back To The Real World

I got into the office this morning all set to dive into work.  I've got a BUNCH of projects to cram out in the next few weeks and a boatload of stuff going on in my personal life so I really needed to rock and roll.
 
First thing I noticed was that the Microsoft logo was frozen on my monitor.  Not usually a problem and can be solved by a reboot.  Except for when the power button on your PC won't turn off.  So, I unplugged/replugged and it started to boot up.  Until it got to the splash panel then froze.  I tried another hard boot and it still froze.
 
I called across the hallway to the Help Desk person, "My PC no workie."  She started fiddling with it and confirmed that something was amiss.  Like I didn't know that... 
 
We have a standing staff meeting on Tuesday mornings and I had no report to bring since it was on my PC.  After the meeting, there was more fiddling around with my machine, this time by two Help Desk people.  I was fortunate enough to find an open PC to go through all the email that came in while I was on vacation.  By lunch time, I still didn't have a working machine so it was off to a long lunch with the hope that I could do some work when I got back.
 
No such luck.  Dell says it's a bad motherboard, the Help Desk thinks it's a bad hard drive.  Regardless, I'm on a loaner machine until tomorrow and will probably be spending several hours reinstalling all of my DBA related software if they have to reimage my machine.
 
So much for jumping on the workload...I'll be at least two days behind once this is all over.
 
I hate computers.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020