House Concert - Gerry O'Beirne

I was really looking forward to this house concert as the musician, Gerry O'Beirne, is from Ireland and I've got a wee bit of the Irish in my background. Clearly, I got those drinking genes from somewhere. I love Irish music and poetry, too.

I must admit, when I was first introduced to Gerry, I thought to myself 'this guy isn't too lively'. He wasn't what I expected from an Irishman at all except for the accent.

Once his show started, however, I quickly grew to appreciate his very dry humor. You had to be paying attention as his delivery was very soft spoken but the guy was hilarious. He was also awesome on the strings. He played a 12 string, 6 string and a ukelele and it was amazing. I found out afterwards that he's never had classical training and can't read music but you would never guess that from his playing.

Those folks who came to hear traditional drinking songs like Black Velvet Band and The Unicorn may have been disappointed. But those who wanted exceptionally poetic lyrics and haunting music were not disappointed in the least. This was a great show.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020