Silly and Stubborn

There's a Buffett song called Last Man Standing and it's become my party motto. Unless I hit a wall and put myself to bed, I'm one of the last people up partying no matter how late it gets. I don't want to miss any of the fun and I certainly don't want people to think I'm not up the challenge of hanging.

Catnip is just like me. We have spent many evenings carrying on until the morn. He's actually outlasted me a few times.

Pirate Rick and Julie are like us in that regard, too.

Annette? Not so much with the staying up. She goes to bed but she's added a new trick to it so we don't know for sure if she's bailing. She makes herself a drink so we think she's staying up but then she sneaks off.

The Rocket Scientist has a strict 10 PM bedtime on school nights but he's been known to stay up with the rest of us on party nights.

OK, background out of the way, here's the story. We had stopped at the border to get some liquor and Pirate Rick and Julie bought a bottle of Tequila. It was Reposado and had a pina (the fruit of the agave or something like that) carved out of it. We cracked it open on Friday night when we got back to Catnip and Annette's.

Annette and Julie checking out the pina.

We sat around for hours drinking and BSing and trying to finish the bottle. I'm not a tequila drinker so I would just periodically take a sip out of The Rocket Scientist's glass. It wasn't bad but it's still not really my thing. I did keep his shot glass pretty full and he accused me of trying to get him effed up. I think maybe he was hoping I might try to take advantage of him in his weakened state. Somehow, I managed to refrain. (And, let's see if he catches that part of the post.)

The Rocket Scientist two fisted drinking but not looking happy about it for some reason.

As the evening wore on, we kept checking the level of the tequila compared to the pina. We made a pretty good dent in it.

It was getting lower.

Annette was the first one to bail. I think she may have used the "I have to go to the bathroom" ploy or she could have just said "I'm done", I'm not sure. Rick and Julie went after that and then The Rocket Scientist retired.

That left Catnip and me as the last ones standing. We said, "We win!" and poured another round. Which we didn't finish because we went to bed within minutes of the rest of the kids.

What we think we won, I don't know. It seems a silly thing but, by gods, we were determined to be victorious and we mentioned it several times the next day.

Saturday night was a repeat of Friday except Pabla and Sandy were with us.

Who's going to be the first one down?

Pabla was pretty out of it but still upright. She and Sandy finally headed back to their place then it was a battle of wills between the rest of us. Even Annette stayed up!

Julie and the pina.

Finally, one of us said, "OK, it's a draw." We started to head for bed. Catnip and I lingered just a bit so we could still say "We won!" Which we did. The Rocket Scientist bolted out of the bedroom and said, "We called it a tie!"

We conceded it was indeed a tie and on Sunday night, we were all happy to call another draw and that one was much earlier in the evening. You can't run at that pace for very long.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020