My Department Rocks!

I don't think I've written about our corporate Challenge Cup competitions since were humiliated in softball by Print Manufacturing.

Ouch, that still hurts.

Since then, we won the trophy back from MFG via a Gameworks Pentathlon, defended it in a bowling match against Distribution and today we were back at Gameworks to battle Finance/Accounting. We've been busy.

They picked the events: Pop-A-Shot Basketball, Football Throw, SkeeBall, Deal or No Deal and Motorcyle Racing. Gameworks is currently undergoing a complete renovation to all Sega games so some of our options weren't available when we got there today. We swapped out Football for the 3 Point Basketball and Motorcyle for Daytona 500 Car Racing.

The plan was to play 4 people from each team in match play to an eventual champion. First place was 5 points, second was 3 and third was 1. Deal or No Deal was the exception as it was all based on who got the most tickets for one game.

The only event that they scored more points than us was in Deal or No Deal where they won 8-1. That was the only event that was based on random luck - skill played no factor at all. Does that say something about our Finance/Accounting folks?

There were some dramatic moments and I was involved in one. I was playing in SkeeBall and the girl I was playing against and I tied twice. I was behind until the final ball each time then hit double on the top points. I finally edged her out on the third game. It was fun. Before the third game started, I turned around to the peanut gallery and said, "We're doing this deliberately just so we can be the center of attention as long as possible." They all laughed but my team knew just how true that was.

The last event was the Daytona Racing and they needed to place first and second to win the overall event. We had some tense racing but didn't have to play it out as they only had one racer in the final four so the best they could get was a third place.

They tried to say they lost because one of their top guys had his car broken into at lunch today and his wallet stolen so he was running around trying to take care of that issue instead of playing. I think they lost because not one of them had a cocktail. We IT folks were in and out of the bar the whole time so we were plenty loose by the time we had to play in our events.

I'm not sharing that winning secret with them, though.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020