Tales From Key West - The Street Festival

My favorite event at Meeting Of The Minds is the Street Festival on Friday afternoon. Dawnie and her gang are usually the ones who stake out our primo spot just a bit away from the stage but this year Rick and Julie did it for us. Rick also packed a cooler with some beers for us so we weren't hostage to Margaritaville's Landshark only beer sales.

Nice cooler!

Dawnie and Pam with BEER!

The show started with Tropical Soul out of Pennsylvania. They are very fun and their fans always give us Beer signs to hold up during one of their songs. TC Mitchell usually joins the band and it's a great start to the afternoon.

Tropical Soul.

There's one in every crowd...and I find them (or do they find me?).

Naughty Nuns work their way up to us.

TC with Boat Drunks.


Next up was The Boat Drunks out of Illinois. I've seen them lots of times now and they do a good job of keeping the party going. One of their members retired earlier this year (we call him White Pants) and he made a special guest appearance. They were also joined by TC then it segued into a full blown Coral Reefers/Boat Drunks jam session.

White pants!

Fins up!


It's not a street festival without balloon hats.

Oh, those damn beads!

There are only two issues I ever have with the street festival (well, three if you count the Landshark only beer sales): beach balls and beads. I swear I'm not in our spot for five minutes before I get bonked on the head by a ball. And, that's just the first bonk of many for the day.

As soon as the music starts, there are people on the overlooking balconies tossing beads to the crowd. It's not so bad if someone is reaching up in front of me to catch them because at least I'm not getting smacked in the face then. But, I'm constantly on edge expecting an incoming missile at any moment. This year, one really nice lady was catching them then giving them to me. I thought that was sweet. I ended up handing them over to Tony who was trading them for pins from the nuns. I've got enough beads at home to last several lifetimes.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020