Thanksgiving

The burning question seems to be whether we kept Shorty out of the kitchen on Thanksgiving.

The answer is no. But, we tried.

Steven and my Mom had things well in hand when I got there around 1. I only needed to do one quick trip to the store for pineapple and green beans so they did a good job at shopping, too. The turkey was in the oven, the sweet potatoes ready to put in the oven and the white potatoes were peeled, cut and ready to cook.

Steven and I were snapping the green beans when I declared, "I'm thirsty". That's Shorty's cue to make me a holiday cocktail. To do that, he had to go through the kitchen and Steven yelled at him to get out. I told Steven we needed to give him a cocktail pass so he could make his own drinks (and mine). After he made my first Diet Coke and Brandy which must have had nearly 1/2 ounce of Diet Coke, I decided to make my own drinks and his.

The guests arrived. Lots of family, friends from Wisconsin and The Rocket Scientist and his kids. Steven hooked the latter up to the wii. That kept them occupied until dinner.

Shorty thought he was going to carve the turkey but we told him our Uncle Jim could do it. He didn't believe Jim was capable and he was right. We ended up turning the job over to Aunt Rose Mary after Jim thought he was going to shred the meat instead of cutting it.

We were in the midst of setting the table, mashing potatoes, moving pans in and out of the oven when my phone rang. It was Unruly Julie and the gang from Rocky Point calling to see if Shorty had made it into the kitchen yet. I chatted with them for a few minutes and it threw me off our scheduled meal preparation.

That's how I missed the gravy and how Shorty made it into the kitchen. Doh!

It was with much delight that Shorty pointed out we hadn't started the gravy yet and he ended up taking it over (even though I did have it well in hand once I started it). But, that was pretty much all he did so I guess we nearly accomplished our goal of keeping him out of cooking. Not that I'm sure that's even a good goal to have since we ended up doing a lot more work than we usually do.

There was more wii playing after dinner and I was once again forced to admit that I totally suck at it.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020