Danger Zone!

I went to the Diamonbacks - Brewers game on Monday night. My buddy and I decided to splurge on good seats so we were in section 120 which is just two over from home plate on the first base side.

I can’t remember the last time I was so nervous! There were foul balls galore. They were raining down in the sections all around us and bouncing off the upper deck back into those sections. Every crack of the bat made me flinch.

One thing I consistently do is tell my baseball companion that it’s his/her obligation catch or deflect the foul balls before they can injure me. I should also tell them to remember where I parked the car but, just like I can’t remember where the car is, I can’t remember to tell them that.

My buddy, Tim, is a hockey goalie so I felt pretty good that he would keep me safe. We had one near miss to the left of us that was close but not close enough to catch.

But, just as he was coming back from getting beers, one came right down the aisle to his left. He reached out to get it and spilled beer on the seat in front of him. Alcohol foul! At least he didn’t pour it on the guy in front because he was up trying to get the ball as well. It was at least $1 worth of beer.

I have to say I’m a little disappointed in Tim. Not that he spilled the beer; he was lucky he didn’t lose more. I thought for sure a goalie could get a ball when it was that close. Oh, well. It would have been a nice souvenir for him.

One thing I have to rant about a bit was the amount of people who couldn’t sit still. This was the second game in a row where we were sitting on the aisle and I don’t know how many times we had to get up to let the middle people come and go.

Really, people? I’ll give you one beer and washroom run but that’s it. Stay in your seats the rest of the time. Or, get aisle seats so you’re not annoying everyone else.

I’m going to another game tomorrow but we’re sitting in the outfield. At least I’ll only have to worry about home run balls out there so I should be more relaxed than last game.

Comments

Tim said…
In my defense, goalies will always save beer over pucks. Stanley cup final - a beer and a puck come at you at the same time, good goalies can get both. Minor leaguers such as myself have to make a choice, and it will always be beer. Roberto Luongo gets netiher.
There are many guys I have played with who would suggest that I could not stop a beach ball, let alone a baseball, but screw them - they weren't back checking anyway.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020