It Tasted Better Than It Looks


The larder is quite bare here at the Cheesehead's home. I had two oranges for breakfast then heated up a can of baked beans for lunch. That was about all there was and I still had dinner to worry about. Because I'm going to be out almost every night this week, I didn't want to go to the grocery store for just one meal.

So, creativity was called for.

I had a whole organic chicken in the freezer and assorted organic veggies and fruits. After browsing the web for some recipes, I formulated my own based on available ingredients.

You know what? It turned out pretty damn good.

Here's my recipe:

Jumbled together in a roasting pan:
4 red apples, quartered and cored
1 full head of garlic, peeled (which should go without saying, don't you think?)
4 small red onions, quartered
2 green onions, finely diced
a bunch of dried Rosemary (wish I'd had fresh but oh well)

Place full roasting chicken with Kosher salt and cracked pepper on the outside and on top of the fruit/veggie mix. (My chicken was 4 pounds.)

Pour half a glass of white wine over the chicken and other ingredients. (I used a Moscato to keep the sweetness.)

Bake at 350 until the chicken reaches 180 degrees at the thickest part. That took about 90 minutes for me. Remove from the oven and carve the chicken. Serve chicken with apple mixture.

I'm not sure why the picture turned out so red on the chicken because it was definitely more brown. It was nicely cooked, very, very moist and I'll have breakfast for the rest of the week. I say breakfast because I not only have evening plans all week, I have lunch plans, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020