The End of the Harry Potter Era


I'm going to miss these crazy kids

Today (actually this morning) is the official U.S. release day of the last Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.

What a wonderful experience it's been! I'm both excited to see the movie tonight and saddened to know it's the last event. Because they are events. Both the book and movie releases have been much anticipated by Potter fans around the globe and within my circle of friends.

I didn't start reading the books until before the first movie came out in 2001. But, I read all that were available at that time within a week as they were all at the library (in the Youth section).

After that, I tried the Amazon release day delivery route once. That killed me because I could have gone to the store and gotten it before it came. I don't know how many times I went to my mailbox that morning but it was a lot.

I then discovered the grocery store route. Loiter until midnight when they bring out the books and, boom, you're ready to go. I would immediately go home and start reading until I couldn't stay awake, sleep, then finish the book before getting out of bed.

Some of my friends would do the bookstore midnight party complete with costumes. I just didn't have the patience.

As to the movies, I've seen every one on opening day. One of those was a midnight showing which I seriously considered this year but I think I'm getting too old for a late school night. My friends and I are hitting the Cine Capri for the 7 PM show tonight and lining up for it at 4:30. I do applaud the efforts of the people who were in line at 4 AM yesterday for the midnight show.

It's been very enjoyable over the years. I loved seeing the story progress (though I have serious issues with the wrap-up in the last book). Watching the kid stars grow up and expand their acting chops has been a delight. The adult stars were incredibly well cast. (Alan Rickman as Snape - genius!) The business major/social media devotee in me has marveled at the time, money and energy that people have expended following J.K. Rowling's world.

It truly is the end of an era. I doubt anything will ever match it and I'm thankful I got to be a part of it.

Comments

REDSTIGUSA said…
Even in a promo shot, the poor Ginger kid has to sit by himself.
Cheesehead said…
LOL. I didn't even notice and he's actually my favorite!

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020