Must See TV For Me -- Louie

I discovered Louis C.K. last year when his show Louie started. I watched every episode of the first season, caught a one hour stand-up special of his on Netflix and am now two episodes into the second season of the show.

This guy is fantastic!

His show alternates between bits of his stand-up show and scripted stories about his life as a comic, part-time Dad and seeker of romance. There were lots of great guest stars in the first season including Stephen Root and Ricky Gervais.

I’m not sure where Louis C.K. gets his material because I can’t imagine anyone having that dark and twisted of a psyche. Seriously, there are many cringe worthy yet laugh out loud moments in the show but to try to even retell them is beyond me. You have to see them to appreciate them.

It’s wonderful how he plays his character. These outrageous and horribly awkward things happen in the story and he just goes along with this “I knew this was going to go bad, oh well” approach that comes across as not really apathetic but in a way that makes you sympathetic.

His stand-up is outrageous. The ideas he presents are sometimes horrific but the way he presents them makes them less offensive and more contemplative. It’s only until afterwards where I think “man, that was sick and wrong” but, at the time, I’m just laughing my arse off.

You may have heard about Louis C.K. speaking out in defense of Tracy Morgan’s stand-up a while back where he went off on a rant about gays. Here’s a tweet he posted: Tracey Morgan said something wrong, evil, cruel, ignorant and hilarious. He was on a comedy stage, not at a pulpit.

I can see why Louis C.K. would feel compelled to respond since his own routines are so edgy. He also said: If every word a person says has to be right and balanced and fair, I will jump off a tall thing onto a hard place.

I sincerely hope Louis C.K. doesn’t make that jump off a tall thing. I’m enjoying his work too much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020