PHINS Friday

I actually planned a little ahead for our drive up to Laughlin on Friday. Norene came up Thursday night, we hit Four Peaks for dinner, watched Earl then hit the sack for an early departure. I'd called Grandpa to get the best route through town and had several options written down. However, that just got me out of town and on the road north.

Norene and I were on the 202 when she said, "I meant to print out the directions to the AVI once I got to Laughlin but I forgot." I replied, "I have no idea...it's somewhere on the other side of town." She said, "Well, I thought that since my passenger had been there before she could tell me how to get there."

How long has this woman known me? Clearly, not long enough. I can find my way out of a paper bag but beyond that....well, let's just say it's a good thing that I have a cell phone and know people who can guide me. I've never been the driver to the AVI so I've never paid attention and had no hope of recalling any details.

So, I was back on the phone to Granpda at 7:30 AM to ask him if he could look up the directions from the website. I started out with a friendly, "What are you doing?" He replied, "Drinking coffee and reading the paper." "Aren't you usually at work by this time?" was my next question and his reply was, "I work 4 tens, remember?"

Oops. I sorta forgot about that and hadn't even considered that it was a Friday. As a somewhat small defense, he'd told me they were canceling that schedule but the change hadn't kicked in yet. I apologized and ended up calling my friend, Andrea, at work to get the directions.

Nothing to see, move along, oh, wait, you can't go anywhere.

Now that we knew where we were going, we were all good. Until we hit apparent construction. I say apparent because, despite stopping traffic in both directions for a good 15 minutes, we actually couldn't see that they were doing any work. Once we got clear of that, we hit town just as the boys (and Beth) were getting off the golf course and heading to the pool. Good timing.

Pool time meant a lot of hellos and hugs to folks from all over and a lot of "Have you seen...?" questions. I saw Shannon and Troy from Utah and, while I did say hi first, the second thing out of my mouth was "Where's Gary?"

Me, Gary and Shannon. (Pic courtesy of Lewie)

Seems Gary had quite the night on Thursday and they were eager to point out that his underwear was hanging up in one of the hotel windows that overlooked the pool. Too funny. He had some likely story about someone else putting it up there while he was in the bathroom but I didn't buy it. He finally surfaced and I got to meet some of the other Utah folks, too.

The Jello Shot Prince and I hit the blackjack table for a while. I dropped a quick $60 ($20 of which was supposed to be lucky Mom O'Malley money) and JSP took a little while longer to lose $100. That was enough gambling for me for that day.

Fins up!

Friday night was music in the Pavilion. I spent a lot of time outside with the bad kids (the smokers) early on but then it was music time with Hannah's Reef and two wonderful events.

The first event was a 100 shot salute to Mom O'Malley. They passed out 100 shots of rum and Doug did a very nice toast. The second was the surprise appearance of Captain Nathan Cantwell, on leave from the sandbox. His Dad had no idea he was going to be there and there wasn't a dry eye in the place when we saw how happy he was to see his son.

Later in the evening, Cheap Bastard walked his lovely girlfriend, Annette, back to their room and returned with another hottie. I completely threw him under the bus by saying "You just walked you girlfriend back to the room and you're back with another woman?" He'd actually already told the new hottie that so he let me off the hook on it.

Ever wonder what Cheap Bastard does after Annette goes to bed?

CB, Gary and I were the last Parrot Heads out of the Pavilion at around 2 (2:30?). I figured JSP would be up late at the blackjack tables with Pab but he's now calling her The Cooler and they quit about the same time we did since he was losing moola.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020