Family Affair

We had a bee-yatch of a storm here last night. It poured buckets and there was lots of lightening. (Yes, my skylight is still leaking but they're really hoping to get it to it soon.)

There was a microburst in my parents' hood last night and their power went out at 9:30. I didn't find out until Shorty called me this morning...at 6:15 AM. Considering I went to bed after midnight, I can't say that I was really pleased with the wake up call. Their power was still out so the whole group came over to camp out at my place.

That's two parents, a dog, a cat and a freakishly tall kid. All in my 936SF condo. Add in my Uncle who stopped in tonight and it's quite the sardine tin around here.

The cat was pissed off at being transported in a cardboard box. She's been under my couch all day and doesn't seem likely to come out. The dog couldn't wait to jump on my white couch. Sugar Daddy declared a no dog on the couch edict when I told him but the dog apparently doesn't care what he thinks.

I left them with instructions on how to reset the thermostat and a briefer on how to use the DVR (which Steven told me was wasted on the old folks) and went off to the hell that is currently my job.

I only got one call from Shorty the whole day but Steven was not so lucky. Apparently, Shorty was using my laptop and couldn't figure out the mousepad. Then, when he wanted to shut it down he got confused by the "an application is running..." message and didn't know what to do. That was two calls for PC support - glad Steven was able to help out.

SRP doesn't have the power on yet but there's another problem. The storm actually damaged the outside box on the house so Steven had to get an electrician to fix it and a city inspector has to check it tomorrow (God willing it's only tomorrow and not later). The SRP guy said it was a good thing that Steven noticed the torn off wire because it could have electrified the whole house when the power came back on.

I told Sugar Daddy today that I should come stay at his house tonight. For some reason, he now thinks that it would be inappropriate (wtf?). I then suggested my parents stay at his house. His vehement reply was, "Good Lord, No!" He is sometimes a wise man.

So, I'll have the whole gang camping out tonight. Good thing my couch is comfy since I'll be on it.

Shorty is so damn excited to be hanging out here that he can't leave me alone. He made me dinner so I can't complain too much but the making of dinner did involve lots of me getting up to fetch things for him so it's not like I got a big break there.

Here's a few examples of how it went:

Shorty: I couldn't find the butter.

Me: (going into kitchen, opening fridge and pointing to item on shelf) It's right here in the front in a container with the word butter written on it.

Shorty: I need something to cook the steaks.

Me: The frying pan is under the microwave.

Shorty: No, not a pan. I need....uh....uh....uh.

Me: I have no idea what you're looking for so you're going to need to give me the word.

Shorty: Oil. I need oil.

Me: Above the microwave on the left.

Shorty then opened the cupboard on the right and started taking things out because he couldn't see the olive oil.

Me: Your other left. Your other left. Your OTHER left!

I finally figured out that he didn't have his hearing aids in...I think that would have helped a bit in the communication process.

I really just wanted them to leave me alone so I could catch up on my blog reading for 30 minutes and finish some scrapbook pages for my boss. Steven abandoned me completely so I was their only source of entertainment. It could have been a long evening..but I was tricky.

I started Wedding Crashers for them. Five minutes in, Shorty was napping and my Mom (who's really pretty low maintenance) was entertained.

I can almost pretend that I'm home alone.

And, before you all jump on me for not appreciating this quality time with the old people, I am happy that I can give them a place to stay. I did try to trade the overnight stay for making Shorty's birthday dinner Saturday night, though. No dice on that one.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020