Mom's Birthday

Today is my Mom's birthday. Shorty took us out to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner to celebrate. It was a pretty typical Pfister family dinner. Steven and I verbally sparred on every subject unless we were united in picking on Shorty. We've eased up on him over the past few years so don't feel too sorry for him. He actually likes the attention.

It's funny the habits that get passed on to the next generation. Shorty is a Gin Martini drinker and has been since way back. I think Gin is vile. If it were the only alcohol on the planet, I would live out my days completely sober. However, Gin flavored condiments are tasty. When I was a young lass in the frozen tundra, I used to wait until Shorty (I called him Dad back then) wasn't paying attention to his drink then I'd sneak his olive. Looking back, I'm sure I wasn't as stealthy as I imagined myself to be and that Shorty just let me get away with it. I also used to eat the fruit out of my Mom's Brandy drinks.

Yes, I blame my parents for my drinking. Doesn't everyone?

Steven is an olive stealer, too. However, he's a bold thief. I don't even get a chance to try to be stealthy because he just reaches over and takes the olives out of the drink before I can make a move. There's no style in that. They gave Shorty three olives in his drink tonight so we all could have one. No chance for fighting which disappointed us a little.

Steven and I both think nothing of eating off of each other's (and Shorty's) plates. I snagged one of Shorty's scallops and Steven took a bunch of his popcorn shrimp. Again, don't feel sorry for Shorty. He always ends up trying to force us to eat everything left on his plate so it's not like we're starving him.

While Steven and I are pestering/entertaining Shorty, my Mom just sits back and takes it in. I think she's happy to be out of the line of fire.

The evening isn't complete until Shorty shakes his head and says, "You two!" He says it like he's chiding us for our behavior but he's actually happy that Steven and I get along so well. And, he's thrilled that the family is all together for the evening.

It was a great night.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020