Book Review - Into The Wild

Into the Wild Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
I've read Krakauer's Into Thin Air and Under the Banner of Heaven and thought both were great reads. Into Thin Air was exceptional, in fact. I've been wanting to read Into the Wild for a while now so I was happy when our book club selected it for this month.



For those that don't know, this is the story of a guy (kid, really) who gave away all of his money and decided to live off the land in Alaska and ending up starving to death.



It wasn't as good as I had hoped/expected it to be. Since he obviously couldn't interview the main character, there were lots of interviews with people he'd run into during his travels. Those parts were interesting but started to get redundant. It was almost like Krakauer needed filler (and this is already a short book) so he went over the same material and people.



Less interesting, thought not boring, were the details about other men (and I think they were all men, interestingly enough) who ventured out on similar adventures and met the same end.



I did enjoy the personal chapter on Krakauer's own attempt to conquer the mountain. While I don't remotely understand the urge I can appreciate the dedication (or is it insanity?).




View all my reviews.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020