Good Father's Day

I really appreciate the sentiments of Mother's Day and Father's Day but, when it comes down to it, it's hard to pick out presents for people who have everything they need. How much perfume and how many golf shirts do the folks really need?

After some brainstorming, Steven and I decided to make dinner for my parents at my house for Father's Day. Shorty always wants to come over and hang out for some reason so I knew it would make him really happy. And, it did. He was quite excited about it.

Steven came over at noon and we scanned some online recipes before deciding on a veggie pasta salad and stuffing filled pork chops. It seems an odd combination to me but Steven was actually doing the work while I paid the bill so I let him decide. After checking out the pork at the store, we ended up with a pork roast instead of the chops but he split it and stuffed it anyway.

The parents came over around 3 just as I was catching the end of the race. My poor Jimmie – led the most laps but didn't win. Oh well, he moved up into 5th place in the standings so that's good.

Shorty had a Martini, Mom had some flavored tea and I hit the wine while Steven slaved in the kitchen. The only mishap was that he had the burner turned up too high and burned the bottom of the roast but it really wasn't too bad. The crispy parts were tasty.

After dinner, I gave Shorty a book for his physical present. He pretty much only reads what I give him so I try to keep him with some material always on hand.

Steven bailed to some friends and the rest of us watched the first quarter of the basketball game. And by the rest of us, I meant me. Shorty dozed off on the couch, my Mom slept in the chair and George was in hiding.

There are two things George doesn't like: picking her up irritates her and trying to hold her just pisses her off. They did both. Shorty wanted to hold her so Steven grabbed her and handed her off. As soon as Shorty was done admiring her and let her go, she pulled an eff y'all move and stayed under my bed the rest of the afternoon.

I woke the old folks up and suggested they might want to go sleep through the rest of the game on their own couch so they headed off. I walked them to the door and locked it behind them while calling out, "George, they're gone and it's safe to come out." Literally less than 30 seconds later, she came bounding down the hall and spent the rest of the night walking on me while I watched the game.

BTW, the new George entertainment is to snag my hair in her front paws then chew on it. This is one activity that isn't going to be played for long.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020