Welcome, George!

George is in her new (my) home and she's not too happy about it. The Rocket Scientist and I picked her up last night. She was pretty skittish. Anthropomorphizing, I imagined that she'd figured out that when someone shows up with a kitty carrier it means someone is leaving in it. Two of the kittens have gone to their new homes and Mama cat made a trip to the vet yesterday to be spayed and was locked away to recover. Those carriers are not to be trusted!

We played around a little with her before TRS played the bad guy and put her in the carrier. Ann gave us a bunch of her favorite toys and we put them in there for comfort. Small comfort, I'm guessing, since she mewed quite pitifully on the way home.

Once home, we put her in my second bedroom with the litter box and her food and water dish, spilled her toys out and let her go. We sat in there for a while to let her get used to everything. She was willing to play but any sudden movement had her in retreat. TRS went home and I stayed in there until 10:30 when she finally crawled under the bookshelf and went to sleep. I'd read that to help them get/stay litter trained that you should keep them in a confined area with their food for a while so I left her in there all night.

At 4:45 AM, I woke up to more sad mewing. I grabbed the morning paper and went back into the room with her. She played a little bit but wasn't interested in eating or drinking. Being the alarmist that I am, I imagined she was too depressed to eat and I pictured her getting dehydrated and sickly. Yes, I am a worrier.

I went back to bed around 5:30 and slept to 7:45. Oops, that was late. I took a quick shower then went back in to her room. She was more willing to come out and play so I felt better about her mental state. I also got her to pee and poop in the box and she had a hearty breakfast of kitten chow. As I was walking out the front door, I could hear her mew which made me feel sorry for her all over again.

I can't wait to get home tonight! I'm going to let her roam free (except for my room which is so cluttered she could be lost in there for weeks) and hopefully we'll get in some good playing time. I have a feeling snuggling time might have to wait a bit until she's more settled.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020