Doing My Part To Stimulate The Economy

I read an article in the paper this week about how people say they're going to spend their stimulus checks. Last time, the biggest portion was spent on clothing. This time, people are planning to spend a lot less there. That's a bummer for me as one of our company's product line is apparel. It's not doing as well as we would like and I (though I'm no marketer) suspect the economy.

My entire check (and then some) is going towards airfare.

I paid about $550 last year to fly into Key West for Meeting Of The Minds. This year, when I finally started looking at prices, it was nearly $700. I debated going into Ft. Lauderdale early with the gang and driving down the Keys. It's a great trip. But, after factoring in car, hotel and food and drink (make no mistake, there will be a lot of drinking on that journey) it was a break even. The clincher was that I would have to take an extra vacation day and those are more valuable than gold-pressed latinum.

So, I decided to go into Key West and started looking for a deal. It wasn't pretty. The cheapest fare was $900. I guess I should have gotten it all done earlier. Fortunately, I went to priceline.com and found a screaming deal for $540 (including trip insurance which I've never bought before but when airlines are going into bankruptcy on a regular basis I thought it was prudent).

I then moved on to my trip to Des Moines. Again, I should have bought a while ago. It's currently at $450 with no deals at priceline, hotwire, expedia or travelocity. I'm going to wait a week or so and check again. I am hopeful that it will drop a bit by then.

But hey, W should be happy with me. I am doing my part to help the economy.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020