Does Eating This Make Me A Canadian?

Poutine - An Alleged Delicacy

With my many trips to Canada, I often get asked "Have you had poutine?" I must admit, the first time I was asked I didn't even know what it was. Do you know?

In case you don't, it's french fries smothered with brown gravy and cheese curds.

Sounds yummy...not. I tried to envision it and couldn't get past lumpy cheese curds falling off the fries. Doh! Apparently, they melt the curds.

I finally had it last week. We went to a rather nice place in downtown Calgary and they had poutine on the menu but with a fancy twist. The fries were fried in duck fat. It made them a little heartier but didn't taste that much different than those fried in oil.

I like french fries. I like brown gravy. I love cheese curds. I do not like poutine.

At least I can answer the question in the affirmative now so I got that going for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020