Book Review - Middlesex

One of my work bookmates had been trying to get me to read Middlesex for quite a while but it wasn't until it got picked for book club that I actually did so. I'm sorry I waited so long - I really liked this book!

The story is told by Cal, a 41 year old man who spent the first 14 years of his life as Calliope, a girl growing up in Detroit. Cal provides a genetics lesson by telling the stories of his great-grandparents, grandparents and parents. Their history is interwoven with his own story of growing up as a girl and his relationships as a child and adult.

Calliope was the Greek muse of poetry and this book is truly poetic. The writing was beautifully descriptive. I wish I could write a tenth as well. Really, it's that good.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020