It's All In The Cow

I've been getting my butt whipped in the boy poker game lately so I decided to change it up. No, not changing my game at all. I decided to start using a card marker. Some players consider them good luck charms and I figured I could use some luck. As Pirate Rick likes to say about poker, "I'd rather be lucky than good".

The marker I chose was a small ceramic cow that Rhett sent me from Utah. It's small enough to not be in the way and cute (of course). Besides going for the luck factor, I thought using a marker would get me to slow down a little bit. I tend to bet quickly, especially when I have a good hand. That's a tell I'd like to get rid of and taking the time to mark the cards each time would make my moves less obvious.

I had some good cards and I made some good position bets. I bluffed several players with an 8 high but that's about as wild as I got. I built up a pretty good chip stack and was one of the leaders when we condensed to one table.

It's interesting what impressions people get at the table. There were two new (to me) guys playing with us. The first one played at our table and he was convinced that I always had the nuts. The second one didn't see me play until we went down to one table and he was convinced that I was always bluffing.

People started dropping off when the antes and blinds got big and it finally came down to me and the second new guy. He had a pretty big chip lead on me.

I looked down to see pocket Kings and went all in. It was a huge over-bet at the pot. The prudent player would have folded and just given me the blinds and antes. This guy wasn't prudent. He was a calling machine in fact. That works as long as you get the cards. I was hoping he had a little something to call me but I figured he was calling no matter what since he thought I was a big bluffer.

He called me with a King high and my pair held up. Sweet! We played a few more hands where I gave him the blinds and antes on his all-ins until eventually, I caught cards good enough to call him. And beat him.

It felt good to be the winner again!

However, that wasn't the evening's highlight for me. Last time we played, The Rocket Scientist had a stressful week and he was feeling "spunky". He had another stressful week but this time he was crabby. That was my word. I actually went on record saying I didn't like the crabby Rocket Scientist. In fact, I made it a proclamation.

He was short stacked and went all in. I looked down to see one Ace and I couldn't call him fast enough. Take that, crabby guy! He had pocket 8s so had the better hand. The board ended up with three 7s and an Ace so my full boat beat his full boat. I was not sorry at all about taking his chips and making him re-buy. Funny thing, he acted a lot less crabby after that.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020