Book Review - The Deportees and Other Stories

I love reading Roddy Doyle. I don't think there's anything of his writings that I haven't enjoyed. In fact, I would love to sit down with a pint or two with Doyle and talk about his inspirations.

The Deportees is a collection of short stories with the common theme being someone from Ireland meeting someone who's come to live there. There's a huge immigration movement there these days since their economy is doing so well.

All of the stories are great and different. There's a long one featuring Jimmy Rabbitte of The Commitments which was really good. It was fun to see where he is now and that he's still putting a band together. There was a creepy story involving a Polish nanny that was pretty haunting and I really liked the first story about a Dad trying not to be racist when one of his daughters brings home a Black man for dinner.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020