Can't Fight Nature

What's that expression about best laid plans…? I think they don't work out so well when you're as easily swayed as I am.

There are three nights of the year that I really don't like to be out late and driving. New Year's Eve, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and St. Patrick's Day. Those of us who are veteran drinkers seem to be able to control ourselves but the amateurs are out in droves on these nights binge drinking and doing generally stupid things.

So, I hadn't planned anything for last night except a quiet night at home doing some much needed practice on my bass. But, I got an offer to go out from Doona and some pals of hers which I accepted. Social butterflies are genetically wired to accept all engagement offers. Clearly, it's my biology, not any weakness in the willpower department on my part.

We agreed it would be a two beer night at a little neighborhood bar fairly close to my work. I figured I'd be home around 8 or so since we were meeting shortly after 5. Good intentions and whatnot.

There was a small group of us gathered and two beers became three and food. We closed out one tab when one of the group left but then someone asked, "One more?" Of course, my answer is always "Yes" so the remaining three of the group opened another tab and also had more food.

Before I knew it, it was 10. Aye carumba! Not only did I not make it home by 8, I didn't practice at all. I did watch two hours of poker though so I can pretend I wasn't completely unproductive.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020