The Gauntlet

Jiminy Christmas, I'm all about our democratic process but sometimes I just want to get to the library!

I decided to make a quick trip to Scottsdale Public Library today at lunch to drop off some books, pay my fines and pick up my holds. (What on earth made me think I could read six more books in the next three weeks when I still have five at home!?!?) My goal was a quick in and out. What I hadn't counted on was that there would be three petition gatherers camped out between the parking garage and the front door.

If I'm not in a hurry, I always stop and listen to what they're pushing. Sometimes I sign, sometimes I don't. I used to always sign thinking it's best to leave it up to the people but I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of not so bright folks in Arizona and it's safer to not give them options.

One guy got me on my way in. There was really no way to get by based on the geography. I tried to deflect that I'm not registered in Scottsdale but he had statewide petitions. So, I stopped and listened and signed two out of the three.

Library business concluded, I hustled out to my car. Another of the three tried to stop me. I told him I'd already signed for guy one and he said he had an entirely different batch of petitions. Aye carumba! How many things are they trying to put on the ballot? I told him I didn't have time and made my getaway as he was still explaining to me what his petitions were for.

There's almost always someone out there but I've not seen three people at once before. I'm guessing the count was high due to a combination of the deadline to get initiatives on the ballot and it being spring break where more people are out during the day.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020