Awesomesauce

I always get apples in my organic deliveries. At least four, often six. If I followed the old adage of one a day consumption, I'd be set. But, for some reason I just don't think to eat them and they keep forever so I had a bunch built up in reserve.

Something triggered the thought to make applesauce out of them. While I won't think to eat a plain apple, I will definitely eat applesauce. I googled the interwebs for recipes, studied a few, then modified one and used it.

Here it is:

8 cups apples, peeled and chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

8 cups of apples is a LOT of apples
I used my new Tupperware peeler and it did a great job. It didn't take me long at all to prep the apples.

It's also a lot of peels!
I put the apples, sugar and cinnamon on med-low heat and covered the pan. Total cooking time was about 35 minutes and I stirred every 5-10 minutes. The apples cooked down to about four cups and I probably should have diced them into smaller pieces because it was really chunky. I ran the mixer through them for a minute or so and it sauced some of pieces while still leaving some nice chunks.

The vanilla got added after that and it was time for a taste and to put the rest in the fridge.

Yummy
I must say that the still warm concoction was quite good. I had a cold serving tonight for dinner and that was good, too. If i make it again, I would add a little more cinnamon. It's definitely got that flavor but I would like it to be bolder.

Comments

bpacarden said…
This actually inspired me to make "baked" apples for supper last night - I peel & slice, then pop into the microwave x5 or 6 mins with a handful of brown sugar, cinnamnon, nutmeg & top with a few bits of butter - no worry about the sauciness but a family fave & pretty awesome, too! Thanks for the inspiration!
Cheesehead said…
Awesomesauce is my favorite word from Parks and Recreation. It fit so well for this post. Your baked apples sound yummy. I'll have to try them.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020