I Needed That

I have just been dragging my ass all week. Lots to do at work, lots to do at home and trying to get ready for the upcoming weekend up North. Today was especially fatiguing.

I gave blood right before lunch and was looking forward to my next hearty meal after waiting nearly an hour before donating and getting a bruise for my trouble. Alas, it was not to be so.

When I got back to my office, I came upon a crisis. I really need to learn how to pretend I don't hear anything and just walk on by but, somehow, I can't. I ended up at my desk with my boss and another person looking over my shoulder while we were all on the speaker phone with one of our users.

My blood sugar must have been negative because I literally could not come up with the right column and table names to write my queries. It was scary. Fortunately, I'd brought my lunch and my boss got it for me so I could eat while I worked. (That sorta makes her seem like a slave driver - 'Hey, I know you're faint but solve the problem, anyway!' She's so not a slave driver, though.)

It took me a couple of hours to feel back up to speed and I was still dragging a little when I hit the grocery store after work. I was standing in the checkout line trying to remember if I'd gotten everything I needed for this weekend (Beer? Check. Cash? Check. Anything else? Nooooooooo, can't think of anything...) when my Miller Lite went through the scanner and I heard my favorite phrase.

Could I see your ID?

I don't think there are any sweeter words in the English language. Well, except maybe this:

Kathy, I know you're a butterfly that cannot be pinned so will you accept this 5 carat diamond ring simply as a token of my affection?

I wouldn't mind hearing that.

The cashier also added a little, surprised "Oh!" when she saw my birthdate. Bonus!

As you can imagine, that perked me up immediately.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020