That Didn't Suck

I made an eggplant dish for dinner tonight. It probably goes without saying that I've never cooked eggplant before. Heck, I know people who've never even eaten eggplant before.

I used the recipe that they gave me with the eggplant. Basically, you slice it the long way, through some olive oil on and broil for 10 minutes. Then, you wrap each slice around mozzarella, tomato and fresh basil and broil again until the cheese melts.

I didn't exactly follow the recipe, though. It's funny how I'm such a complete rule follower in so many ways but when it comes to cooking, I'm quite nonchalant about the details. I can't tell you the last time I measured out a teaspoon of anything - it's just pour until I think it's good. Same thing with cups of flour - I just dump it in and stop when it looks good.

What I did against the recipe was that I cut the eggplant thicker than they called for. Which meant I couldn't actually wrap everything up because it was too thick. So, I just added the other ingredients and broiled it all up. I have to admit that I think it would have been better if I'd stuck to the plan. The eggplant was a little too chewy. However, the flavor was still quite good.


Of course, anything with cheese has got to be good (obligatory statement that every Wisconsin native makes whenever it's remotely situationally appropriate).

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020