Key West Plans

I'm heading to Key West this fall for the annual Parrot Head Convention, Meeting of the Minds. My condo is booked so it was time to get my airfare. I found a pretty good fare into Ft. Lauderdale and then I checked car rentals and that's when it started to add up.

Just for fun, I checked for a flight into Key West and, OMG, that is dang pricey. I've never paid $500 for a plane ticket before (clearly, I've never been overseas) and I didn't want to start now.

However, I decided it actually makes economical sense to fly into KW. The car and airfare to Lauderdale together was about $50 less than going into KW. Add gas to that and it's even money. Plus, I could save some traveling time and spend more time at Hogsbreath on my day in.

The thing is, in years past there were always a few of us flying together. We'd go into Lauderdale, rent a car and take a leisurely drive down to KW. Not as leisurely as Cheap Bastard and Annette who took 11 hours to make the drive but we were never in any hurry.

This year, my posse is all coming in on different days and time. A rental car on your own is a lot of money and the drive down just wouldn't be fun without someone to stop and have a Miller Lite or two along the way with. And, once you get to KW, you don't need a car until it's time to head back to the airport.

While considering it all, I emailed my buddy Gary to see when he was hitting town. He's flying in the same day as I and going directly into KW. He told me to call his travel agent pal because she'd get me a deal.

She did get me a fare for $40 less than what I found. It's also only a one-stopper where I was going to have to change planes twice.

However, the best thing and the absolute kicker?

Gary and I are flying in on the second leg together! He told me to meet him in the bar before our flight.

They are going to have to roll us off that plane once we make the Keys.

Hopefully, one of us remembers that it's a marathon and not a sprint. However, I wouldn't put any money on either of us to do so.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020