Painful

Back before college football started, ASU was ranked and everything looked swell. So, The Rocket Scientist and I decided to pick a football game. I scoped out tickets and picked second best available. The top tickets were in the loge and pretty pricey. The ones I got were just off the endzone and still cost us $50 each.

No small chunk of change but for a top 25 team, it would be worth it, right?

Well, by the time the game rolled around ASU had crashed and burned and the top 25 ranking was but a distant dream.

The first sign that it wasn't going to be a perfect evening was when we discovered that our seats were one section away from the Oregon band. Apparently, our seats were available because they were near the visitor's section. We were surrounded by people in green...blowing duck calls. Annoying!

The second sign was that ASU could not do one thing right. Literally. The offensive line couldn't protect Carpenter, Carpenter didn't seem to have any composure and the defense...well, they just plain couldn't stop Oregon's offense.

At one point, we were backed up to about the 13. I said to TRS, "Think they'll get a safety on the next play?" He said we were too far from the endzone but they sacked Carpenter on the 2 yard line on the next play. VERY close to a sack.

I'm not one for leaving any sporting event early but when TRS said "What bar are we going to?" I was thinking any one would do.

I may have picked wrong, though. I pass this bar called The Stray Cat Lounge on my way to the grocery store and it looks like little neighborhood place from the outside.

My first clue that it wasn't our kind of place was that they were charging a $5 cover charge for a DJ. WTF? The second clue was that there was a guy painting actual pictures in the corner. They all looked like abstracts of clouds. Since clouds are already sort of abstract, you can just imagine how arty those paintings were. The final clue was that they had one TV on the USC/U of A game, a second on the World Series and the rest were showing some dancing movie from the 80s.

While TRS was engrossed in the football game, I couldn't turn away from the movie. It was playing without sound so I had no idea what was going on except there was gang fighting that was actually dancing, everyone looked full of angst and Shooter McGavin looked very, very young in it. It was like a train wreck - I just couldn't turn away.

It ended just as we were leaving and I saw the title - Breakin'! I went home and looked it up on imdb and they called it a classic. Wow. I guess pickings were slim in 1984 so just about anything could make it as a classic. The craziest thing is that they even made a sequel.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020