Reformed Sinners Condemn The Most

I must confess that I used to be that person who constantly checked her smart phone for emails and texts and Facebook updates regardless of the situation. It didn't matter if I was with my family or at work or out with my friends. It was just a compulsion.

I marveled at how a group of us could be out together and several people would be checking their phones and some would even be texting each other although they were sitting nearby. It was a sign of our times - no one wants to miss anything that's going on. Even if it's something minor happening 1,000 miles away.

One day, I just snapped out of it. I decided that it was more important to focus on the person(s) that you're physically next to instead of someone far away. Seriously, unless there's some emergency, it can wait to reply to a text or email until you get home. In the meantime, I think you should, I don't know, actually TALK to the person you're with. And, not just talk, but truly engage them.

Of course, I wasn't subtle about my new mantra. The first time The Rocket Scientist and I went out after my decision, he pulled out his phone and started checking messages (probably in the middle of a conversation). I pointedly looked at him and said, "I'm right here" and gave him a stare that said it was probably wise for him to pay attention to me instead of what was going on in the ethereal communications.

Yes, it was surprising at the time because that view was new but I've been trying to live up to it ever since. Am I perfect? No. I sometimes find myself checking for messages even when I'm with people. But, I really try to hold off until there's a break in the action or, if I'm just with one person, that person goes to the washroom. Then, I can't help myself as the phone immediately comes out.

What's funny (sad?) to me is that I profess to hate intolerance but I'm completely intolerant of this behavior. To the point where TRS repeatedly responded to emails tonight even after I used my "I'm right here" line and I told him I would punch him if he kept doing it. He did so I did. That didn't actually stop him right away but did eventually.

"Dude, I'm right here."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020