Bad I.T. Karma

We had a blood drive at work today. I dutifully showed up and went through the interview process. When it was done, the guy tried to print the report but nothing happened. He kept staring perplexed at his laptop, seemingly hitting keys aimlessly and muttering. "I've done this for six years and I've never had this happen before." Apparently, it lost my whole interview so we had to do it again.

I told the guy that computers were evil and that is was my fault. I was hoping he'd just type in the all the appropriate responses since we'd just gone through it but, nope, he read them all out loud again and made me answer them one more time.

A digression of sorts...when asked the question "Have you ever had sex with a man who's had sex with another man since 1977?", how many "single" woman about town can answer it honestly? Like do you get down to the make or break point and stop to say, "I'm sorry but before we go further, have you ever had sex with another man since 1977? Because, if you have and we continue, I won't be able to donate blood and I need to determine if it's going to be worth it."

Anyway, they plopped me into my seat across from another I.T. guy who was trying to do the Power Red donation. That's where they take 2 pints of blood and pump saline back into you. The machine was not working, however. It kept beeping for no reason and wouldn't reset so they hooked him up to their other Power Red machine. That didn't work either. It took some of his blood but then refused to put the saline back in all the while beeping in an alarming fashion. Really, the last thing you want to see is a malfunction on the machine that's draining your blood but he seemed to take it well.

I blame our I.T. bad karma. I can trace it back to when it started: December 2. We had a really bad software release/implementation and it's been chaos ever since. We've over charged customers, had viruses on two critical servers and had 2 key PCs go down. A lot of the mess has been unrelated technology failures but they've all been painful and quite public.

It's kind of been like a continuous, new day = new crisis. I don't know if it's the ghosts in the machines or the stars aligned against technology but I would really appreciate the bad luck stopping soon. I don't think my liver is going to stand much more alcohol therapy.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020