Good Cow

My pal Norene is up from Tucson for a Grants, Contracts, blah, blah, blah for Government Grunts class this week and is staying around Washington and 40th Streets. We planned to meet for dinner and, since she's a low carb girl, I suggested The Stockyards on Washington and 50th.

Years ago, Shorty worked in an office attached to the restaurant, and if memory serves me, the stockyards may have still been in operation. I do remember it smelling like cow poop there. It was an authentic steakhouse, however, and the place you took unsuspecting out-of-towners to and served them Rocky Mountain Oysters.

The place had gotten a little shabby so two former busboys (like from 30 years ago) bought it and renovated it. It's really nice now, just what you'd expect in a steakhouse.

Norene ordered 1/2 slab of ribs but for me there is no other option in a steak place than the filet mignon. The waitress asked how I wanted it cooked and I gave my stock answer, "As rare as they'll cook it." Sometimes, I get back a "Medium rare is the rarest they can go." and I know I'm not in a "real" steak place. Every once in a while, I get asked, "Blue rare?" and I know I'm in a great steak place.

The waitress didn't even flinch when I ordered and when I got my cow, it looked delish. Nicely browned on the outside and the inside, nirvana!, it was a beautiful shade of red/purple and dare I admit it, cold. In other words, it was perfect!

The glass of red Zin I had complemented the meat perfectly and the service was quite good. Norene dug her ribs which she set off with the piquant bouquet of Miller Lite.

All in all, a great meal and great company.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020