Book Review - The Dating Race

I admit the subtitle of this book was what attracted me to it: An Undercover Report from the Front Lines of Modern-Day Romance. It sounds like something I could have penned, if I weren't huddled back behind the front for emotional safety.

The author, Stacy Kravetz, interviewed lots of dating folks and tried lots of ways to increase the chance of finding a parter. Among the things she looked into were professional matchmaking, match.com, speed dating, chat rooms, flirting workshops, dating coaches and "lock and key" mixers.

The results were all quite depressing actually, especially if you're single and looking for a partner. There were no great success stories and her premise seems to be that our overly busy lives are keeping us from finding lasting relationships and that, while some modern techniques may work out, we're so into an ADD like culture that we miss out on potential mates unless there's an immediate connection. And, it's a mythical immediate connection since the modern techniques aren't conducive to giving enough valid information to make a "real" connection.

I was kind of depressed when I finished the book, but not surprised. After trying eharmony myself and comparing stories with folks who have tried online dating and speed dating services, I'm convinced they don't work for the vast majority of people who try them.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020