Book Review - The Undomestic Goddess

I think I've read all of Sophie Kinsella's books. She does the Shopaholic series and other chick-lit books. I find myself frustrated with her heroines as they continually make bad choices that put them in difficult, albeit comedic, situations. Apparently, they've never tried the "I'll just be honest and not try to build lie upon lie" approach to life. Doubtful if their "Just keep lying and think on your feet" strategy works in real life, but in fiction it can be quite entertaining.

Her latest book is about a young London lawyer who makes partner the same day it's discovered she made a mistake that will cost a client 50 million pounds. In shock, she flees to the countryside and is mistaken for a housekeeper candidate. Of course, despite knowing absolutely nothing about cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc., she decides to take the job.

Kinsella does a great job of creating characters with depth and that you actually care about. Once I got past the stupidity of the heroine accepting the job and pretending to be someone completely different than herself, I enjoyed the story. It helped that there was some good sex stuff in there, too.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020