Happy Anniversary, Hazel and Albert!

Today is Shorty's parents' 78th Anniversary. My Aunt Joan has been sending us an email on this date for several years now and I appreciate that a great deal.

My Dad's parents were awesome. My Grandma Hazel could cook for 20 people without breaking a sweat, would beat one of her little grandkids at Cribbage without any guilt and was always up for a game of cards of any sort. I think I inherited my social butterfly tendencies from her.

My Grandpa Albert was more the stoic, German-Swiss type. He did play cards though, and, in his later years, hoarded prescription cough meds in the cellar for purely non-medicinal purposes. I was always "Grandpa's girl" so my Princess delusions started with him.

The Pfister house was so cool for us grandkids. They used to buy every type of cereal that our parents wouldn't. Captain Crunch, Cocoa Puffs, Count Chocula, Froot Loops and Apple Jacks were always in stock. I think there was a conspiracy to keep us high on sugar because they also had Windmill and Nutter Butter Cookies in the cookie drawer and huge pails of ice cream in the freezer for us. Oh, and case upon case of soda (in glass bottles which tells you how long ago this was). We used to make root beer floats all the time.

Man, we had some good times there. We did have some chores, though. Hazel made us wash the dishes and sweep, mop and vacuum every night. I'm sure we complained about it at the time but, looking back, it was a small price to pay for what they gave us.

I miss them a lot, and my Mom's parents, too.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020