Super Bowl Favorite

I gotta tell you - last year, I could not have cared less about the Super Bowl. Even now, I can't come up with who played, let alone won.

This year's different. I actually have a team I'm rooting for and it's the Seahawks.

Now, I have lots of Steelers fans for friends so I hope they'll forgive me but for many years, the Seahawks were my (second after the Pack, of course) favorite team. It's somewhat surprising considering that I've never been to Seattle. Heck, I don't drink coffee and I get depressed at two straight days of rain so I'm not even that much interested in visiting there.

To understand it all, we have to go way back in time. Back before the Valley was saddled with the losing legacy that is the Cardinals there was no professional football here. ASU was King and it was good. Except for the fact that the networks decided that, since we had no local NFL team, every game we got was going to be the Cowboys.

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Cowboys fan. The only way I will ever even pretend to like them is if I marry a player. Though, at this point, I guess I only have a shot at a coach.

America's Team, my ass. Sure, if you jam them down the throats of TV viewers every weekend, people are going to jump on the bandwagon. Not me, no Sir! I put them in the same group as the Yankees and the Lakers - if they never won another game, I wouldn't feel bad at all.

So, somewhere in the early 80s, my friend, Andy, and I decided we were going to be Seahawks fans. We bought shirts and banners and watched every game we could. This was back in the days of Jim Zorn, Steve Largent, Dave Krieg and my favorite player, David Hughes. I'm not even sure what the allure was but we were faithful.

I remember a game against the Raiders that we saw in a bar. When we walked in with our Seahawks gear on, the Raiders fans were all over us. When the 'Hawks won the game, we were quite smug and the Raiders fans were quiet. Too quiet. We felt lucky to get out of there without a beating - we could feel the "we're going to kick your ass because we're channeling Al Davis and he's a mean SOB" vibe all the way to our car. Which we ran to like little girls and locked the doors of as soon as we got in.

As time went on, I went back full time to the Packers and Andy embraced the Cardinals (to the point of buying season tickets for years), I didn't pay too much attention to the Seahawks. But, somehow, I still have a little sentimental feeling for them.

So, tomorrow, I'm breaking out my Seahawks beer mug to hold my Miller Lites and I'll be rooting for an old favorite. It'll be like old times and I can pretend I'm in my early 20s again which is always good.

Go 'Hawks!

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020