No Open House Policy Here

I went to my parents' for dinner last night and this subject came up. It's a sore point for Shorty. He can't understand why I don't let them drop in on me at home when they're in the neighborhood or just feel like coming over.

My parents' house definitely has an open door policy. Steven, my Uncle Jim and I pretty much come over whenever we want to. Even friends from Wisconsin who are winter visitors to the Valley will just drop by. That's how it's always been. When my parents are at home, it's usually 99% certain that they're either both in front of the TV or one's in front of the TV and the other's on the computer. You never really have to worry about interrupting something.

My place has always been different and I've been trying to figure out why. I can think of several reasons (excuses): the place may be a mess, I may already have company, I may be working either at my paying gig or on club business, I could be at home just long enough to gear up for my next event...

Maybe it's a generational thing? I don't drop by any of my friends' places without it being planned nor do they stop by mine. It's just something we've never done. Well, we did it in our college years, but not in our 'grown up' lives.

I may not figure out the how or why but, I'm going to try to relax my policy a bit for Shorty and my Mom since it makes Shorty feel unloved/unwanted. I don't think my Mom actually cares one way or the other.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020