You Can Never Have Enough Drama In This Family

We've got Steven settled in his new walking boot and crutches. He's adjusting well to the thought of not working for a while because he's realizing just how tiring hobbling around is on him. He also learned that he shouldn't take his pain meds on an empty stomach. Unfortunately, that lesson was learned by hurling up his lunch today.

History has proven that things can't calm down with this group and Shorty's making sure of that.

Yesterday, he passed out at work. He was fortunate enough to grab something on his way down so he didn't get hurt but he was out cold. They called the paramedics who wanted to take him to the hospital but he declined. My Mom and Gare went and picked him up. (I think Gare's trying to work off the bad karma from being the one who not only talked Steven in to playing ball but also being the one he collided with.)

I didn't learn about this until I went to take Steven to his doctor's appointment late in the afternoon. I think Shorty was both embarrassed and afraid of the lecture he knew he was going to get. Here's pretty much how the conversation went:

K: Have you been eating?
S: Not really.
K: What did you eat yesterday?
S: I don't remember. (turns out we could only confirm a piece of lemon cake, btw)
K: Did you eat breakfast today?
S: No.
K: Did you eat lunch.
S: (very quietly) No.
K: I don't have the energy to take care of both you and Steven so you need to eat and take care of yourself.
S: (even more quietly) I know.

The thing about Shorty is that when he's anxious, he doesn't eat. He doesn't think about it, he doesn't want anything you offer him, he just sort of shuts down the gastric system. Not good and we've been through this several times so it's a tad frustrating to go through it again. I totally understand that he's worried about Steven and the hospital bills and whatnot but there's nothing he can do about it so he just needs to let it go.

Unfortunately, Pfisters are horrible about letting things go. I think we're genetically wired to obsess.

I made him promise to eat a good dinner. He's actually blaming it all on lack of sleep which is definitely a contributing factor. He's an old guy and he was at the hospital with me until 5AM on Monday and was up until midnight on Tuesday when I brought Steven home.

So, he had a good dinner and got some sleep yesterday.

Today, he got dizzy at work and they drove him home. This time, he was complaining of chest pains in addition to the dizziness. Now, it's getting scary.

He went to his GP who told him he thought it was anxiety and that he needed to stay home from work the rest of the week. I'm sure they would prefer him staying home than passing out all over the place, too. The GP wanted to run a test on him (what test, I do not know as my parents are incapable of remembering anything medically relevant) but Shorty nixed it since he apparently had the test a few months ago.

I'm no Doctor, but I think the GP is right. I've seen the stress ball that Shorty can become before and it's deja vu all over again.

I'm guessing that after several days trapped with Steven and my Mom, he'll suddenly find himself all better just so he can escape to work.

Popular posts from this blog

February 2020

March 2020

May 2020